A range of species that are suitable for Spring and Autumn sowing, herbs can be incorporated into existing grassland areas or paddocks to increase the palatability.
A blend of perennial herbs suitable for improving the diversity existing paddocks, and providing additional vitamins and trace elements.
- After sowing the mixture, paddocks should be grazed in rotation
- Improves the diversity of existing paddocks
- Increases the range of nutrients available to horses
- Contains: burnet, fenugreek, ribgrass, sainfoin, sheeps parsley and yarrow
- Sow at 0.5kg per acre. Pack size: 2kg
Chicory has a very deep tap root, making it suitable for sowing on dry soils. Often sown alongside a grass and clover mix to improve the soil structure and health.
- Perennial (Cichorium intibus), pale blue flower - 3-5 cms across, light/chalky soils
- Flowers: July - October
- Height: Can grow to 1.5m
- Sowing Rate: 5kg per acre. Pack size: 5kg
Perennial. ( Plantago lanceolata), ribbed narrow leaves with brown flowers and cream anthers.
- Flower spikes to 60mms on long ridges stalks, rich in minerals
- Flowers: April - September
- Height: to 30cm tall
- Pack size: 1kg. Sowing rate: 4kg/acre
Sainfoin is ideal as a long term cover crop in free draining soils, with strong drought resistance and tolerance of low nitrogen soils.
- A nitrogen fixing perennial legume with good drought tolerance
- Excellent high protein forage for horses being very palatable
- Copes well with poor nutrient soils and drought conditions
- Sainfoin leys can be considered to last four years or more
- Sowing rate: 65-100kg / ha
Perennial (Sanguisorba minor), purple tinged small round flowers, smells of cucumber when crushed.
- Flowers: May - September
- Height: 30 cms
- Sowing rate: various; foreign untreated seed
- Pack size: 2 kilos
Perennial - (Petroselinum sativum) may struggle to survive under heavy grazing, very palatable.
- Flowers: July - September
- Height: Tall specie
- Sowing rate: various; foreign, untreated seed
- Pack size: 2 kilos
Perennial herb (Achillea millefolium) is very palatable and drought resistant.
- White aromatic flowers
- Flowers: June onwards
- Height: 40 -60cms
- Sowing rate: various, foreign, untreated seed
- Pack size: 2kg