A range of species that are suitable for Spring and Autumn sowing, herbs can be incorporated into existing grassland areas or paddocks to increase the palatability.
Perennial herb (Achillea millefolium) is very palatable and drought resistant.
- White aromatic flowers
- Flowers: June onwards
- Height: 40 -60cms
- Sowing rate: various, foreign, untreated seed
- Pack size: 2kg
Perennial - (Petroselinum sativum) may struggle to survive under heavy grazing, very palatable.
- Flowers: July - September
- Height: Tall specie
- Sowing rate: various; foreign, untreated seed
- Pack size: 2 kilos
Perennial (Sanguisorba minor), purple tinged small round flowers, smells of cucumber when crushed.
- Flowers: May - September
- Height: 30 cms
- Sowing rate: various; foreign untreated seed
- Pack size: 2 kilos
Sainfoin is ideal as a long term cover crop in free draining soils, with strong drought resistance and tolerance of low nitrogen soils.
- A nitrogen fixing perennial legume with good drought tolerance
- Excellent high protein forage for horses being very palatable
- Copes well with poor nutrient soils and drought conditions
- Sainfoin leys can be considered to last four years or more
- Sowing rate: 65-100kg / ha
Perennial. ( Plantago lanceolata), ribbed narrow leaves with brown flowers and cream anthers.
- Flower spikes to 60mms on long ridges stalks, rich in minerals
- Flowers: April - September
- Height: to 30cm tall
- Pack size: 1kg. Sowing rate: 4kg/acre
Chicory has a very deep tap root, making it suitable for sowing on dry soils. Often sown alongside a grass and clover mix to improve the soil structure and health.
- Perennial (Cichorium intibus), pale blue flower - 3-5 cms across, light/chalky soils
- Flowers: July - October
- Height: Can grow to 1.5m
- Sowing Rate: 5kg per acre. Pack size: 5kg
A blend of perennial herbs suitable for improving the diversity existing paddocks, and providing additional vitamins and trace elements.
- After sowing the mixture, paddocks should be grazed in rotation
- Improves the diversity of existing paddocks
- Increases the range of nutrients available to horses
- Contains: burnet, fenugreek, ribgrass, sainfoin, sheeps parsley and yarrow
- Sow at 0.5kg per acre. Pack size: 2kg