Best Selling Game Cover
A selected list of the most popular choices of individual game cover seed species and seed mixtures. These products are popular with farms and shoots throughout the UK and includes the best and most reliable products.
Cover crops for game and forage cover. Boston Seeds are wholesale online seed suppliers for Private Individuals, Businesses and Farming Groups.
The Traditional Game Cover Mixture combines a broad range of species which will give a full season of cover and a supply of food.
- A tried and tested mixture species which provides feed and cover
- Sunflowers provide an attractive splash of colour
- Differing seed sizes mean it is best broadcast rather than drilled
- Game Maize, White Millet, Red Millet, Buckwheat, Kale, Sunflower, White Mustard, Forage Rape, Gold of Pleasure, Phacelia
- Sowing Rate: 10kg per acre. Packsize: 10kg
A blend of three varieties of maize with different maturity dates to provide effective cover and feed for the duration of the season.
- All Season Blend our best selling game cover maize
- A blend of early, intermediate and late varieties
- Varieties selected for good early vigour and standing ability
- Influx treated seed
- Sow at 45,000 seeds per acre. Pack Size 45,000 seeds
Vittasso Brown Mustard is a new, unique and highly versatile game cover crop. It is is easy to establish, quick growing and winter hardy.
- Sow from late July onwards to produce a dense, leafy canopy
- Winter-hardy, easy to establish, cost effective
- Can be sown as a rescue crop for failed spring sowings
- Can grow up to 1.5 metres dependent on when sown
- Sowing rate: 2kg per acre (5kg/ha)
Short stemmed, sturdy, broad leaved and has a substantial seed head. Its shorter growing habit is ideal for exposed sites.
- Average height 1 - 1.25m
- Often sown alongside maize, see Four Ten Mixture
- Very good standing power due to short growth habit
- Ideal cover providing a warm holding area for birds
- Sowing rate 12kg per acre. Pack size: 8kg. Treated seed
Dwarf sunflowers are a shorter stemmed hybrid variety which provide better standing ability over conventional varieties.
- A stiff stemmed, shorter hybrid variety
- An effective feed crop for shoots in the southern half of the UK
- May require 'swiping' down to allow game birds to access the seeds
- Frequently sown as part of a game mix or with kale
- Sowing rate: 5kg acre. Pack size: 5kg
Quinoa will provide cover and a plentiful supply of seed making it a popular crop for holding partridges, pheasants and attracting seed eating song birds.
- Produces a number of seeds to provide a valuable source of food
- Also attractove to many species of seed-eating song birds
- Often grown with kale as it begins to collapse with first frosts
- Available ready blended with Kale, see Overdrive Seed Mixture
- Sowing rate: 2kg per acre. Pack size: 2 kg
Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris arundinacea) is similar to Canary Grass (aquatica) however it is much hardier.
- A perennial species which can last for 10 years
- Suitable for exposed northern sites - good frost and winter hardiness
- Strong stems and thick leaves provide reliable cover for ground nesting birds
- Similar to conventional canary grass with improved hardiness
- Sowing rate: 2.5kg per acre Pack Size: 2.5kg
White mustard is an ever popular choice for game cover. Very easy to establish and grows rapidly, providing cover until the first winter frosts.
- Can be sown alone or as a companion to other species
- Ideal for early cover, killed off by frost will create shelter for birds
- Quick growing - ideal for patching failed spring cover crops
- Also opular as a green manure crop
- Suitable for Countryside Stewardship (CSS): AB2
- Sowing rate: 15kg / ha