Cover Crop Mixtures
Cover crops are fast becoming an important part of the arable rotation. Boston Seeds are delighted to offer the EnviroSeeds range of cover crop seed mixtures, formulated on the back of extensive independent trials. We welcome enquiries for bespoke mixtures and have expert staff on hand to offer advice.
A new mixture specially designed for sowing as a companion crop with winter oilseed rape or spring sown crops such as maize. Contains only the most frost tender varieties of red vetch and berseem clover.
- Fast to establish
- Weed suppressing mixture
- Nitrogen fixing legumes
- Contents: 80% Bingo Red Vetch 20% Tabor Berseem Clover
- Sowing rate: 20kg / ha
Our most popular cover crop mixture. Winter vetch has a prolonged growing season and fixes Nitrogen at lower temperatures than other legumes. Rye develops a strong root structure to scavenge Nitrogen from the previous crop.
- Fixes and catches Nitrogen - Winter hardy mixture
- Low cost - Good weed suppression
- Contents: 80% Rye, 20% Winter Vetch
- Sowing rate: 35-50kg/ha. EFA Compliant
Suitable for early autumn sowing with high dry matter production. Phacelia puts on a large amount of growth in a short period of time. The three different rooting structures improve soil structure and scavenge nitrogen. The inclusion of rye ensures cover through the winter even once the phacelia and vetch have been killed by frost.
- Suitable for early sowing - High dry matter
- Fixes and catches nitrogen - Good for soil structure
- Contents: 80% Rye, 15% Vetch, 5% Phacelia
- Sowing rate: 35kg/ha. EFA Compliant
Can be sown down to 25kg/ha for the most economical solution. White mustard is quick to establish and fast growing. Tender to frost, it is also easy to incorporate in to the soil. The prostrate growth of rye and ground cover through the winter effectively suppresses weeds.
- Low cost - Covers ground through winter
- Fast establishment - Good weed suppression
- Contents: 80% Rye, 20% White Mustard
- Sowing rate: 25kg/ha. EFA Compliant
A blend of three different fodder radish varieties great for improving soil structure and suppressing weeds. Keeping the sowing rate down to 10-15kg/ha encourages greater root growth to break up soil compaction. A higher sowing rate encourages greater top growth. Late maturing varieties selected specifically for cover crops.
- Deep rooting - Breaks up soil compaction
- Anit nematode - Very quick growing
- Contents: 3 way Oil Radish Blend
- Sowing rate: 10-15kg/ha. Not EFA Compliant
Cost effective solution for fast establishment and good ground cover to suppress weeds. Can be used effectively to improve soil structure and take moisture out of the soil over a short period of time. When turned over in to the soil, brown mustard has a biofumigation effect.
- Deep, fibrous roots - Good weed supperssion
- Catches nitrogen - Low cost
- Contents: 70% White Mustard, 30% Brown Mustard
- Sowing rate: 12.5kg/ha. Not EFA Compliant
Specifically for early autumn sowing where high biomass is required but mixture is not required to overwinter. Black Oats are exceptionally quick to establish but late to mature, reducing risk of unwanted seed shed. Vetch establishes and grows quickly in the autumn.
- Best sown in early autumn - Short term very quick growing
- Fixes and catches nitrogen - Winter kill is likely
- Contents: 70% Black Oats, 30% Vetch
- Sowing rate: 25-35kg/ha.
Created specifically to target soil borne pathogens. NemaShield contains type 2 resistant varieties of both white mustard and oil radish to maximise control of beet cyst nematode (Heterodera schactii).
- Powerful anti-nematode effect - Scavenges nitrogen
- Breaks up soil compaction - High biomass production
- Contents: 50% White Mustard, 50% Oil Radish
- Sowing rate: 25kg/ha.
Diverse mixture to improve soil structure and provide plenty of top growth. Fibrous roots of black oats and brown mustard, together with deep rooting radish break up soil compaction and improve soil quanlity. Large amounts of dry matter are also produced.
- Diverse mixture - Good for soil structure
- High dry matter - Catches nitrogen
- Contents: 80% Black Oats, 15% Oil Radish, 5% Brown Mustard
- Sowing rate: 25kg/ha. Not EFA Compliant