Organic Cover Crops
We supply a wide range of organic cover crops species suitable for use on their own or combined with other crops to achieve maximum benefits within crop rotations. We welcome enquiries for bespoke mixtures and have expert staff on hand to offer advice. Feel free to call 01205 280069 or email email@example.com
Buckwheat is fast to establish and brings many soil improvement benifits. Growing well in lighter soil types but easily damaged by cold weather.
- Fast establishing
- Creates a dense canopy which aids weed suppression.
- Sow from May onwards once all risk of frost has passed.
- Sowing rate: 50kg / ha
Crimson clover is a brightly coloured legume which attracts a large numbers of insects. Tolerant of poor soils provided they are alkaline and free draining.
- Excellent weed suppressor, fast establishing and good nitrogen fixer
- Lower yields of biomass than Red Clover but has much shorter growing period
- Biomass degrades very quickly in the soil releasing nutrients for future crops
- Will over-winter in Southern England for autumn sowing and spring incorporation
- Sowing rate: 15kg / ha
Fodder Radish is a quick growing cover crop which scavenges nitrogen, produces large amount of organic matter and improves soil structure.
- Quick growing, produces high organic matter in short periods
- Suppresses weeds and deep roots benefit soil structure
- Ideal as a green manure crop sown in early autumn
- Effective as a standalone green cover or in mixtures
- Sowing rate: 15-25kg / ha
Lucerne is a longer term perennial clover which fixes large amounts of nitrogen from the air to enrich the soil.
- A longer term perennial clover which fixes large quantities of nitrogen
- Widely used for green manure
- Large tap root which is ideally suited to light and chalky soils as well as dry climates.
- Seed is supplied inoculated with rhizobium bacteria
- Sowing rate: 25kg / ha
Phacelia produces high levels of bio-mass and a strong tap root. When flowering bright purple flowers are an excellent source of pollen and nectar. This makes it attractive to both insects and wild birds.
- A popular green manure crop which is an excellent weed suppressor
- Establishes fast and matures within 10-12 weeks
- Produces a large root mass making the plant an excellent soil improver
- Will produce a multitude of flowers - loved by bees and other insects
- Sowing rate: 5-8kg / ha
Vetch will fix substantial amounts of nitrogen, which is easily accessible for future crops. Vigorous spring growth suppresses weeds and protects the soil from erosion.
- Fast establishing legume which is an excellent weed suppressor
- Provides substantial amounts of nitrogen which is available to the following crop
- A vigorous legume that does best on dry, alkaline soils
- Commonly sown as a mixture with Forage Rye
- Sowing rate: 50kg / ha