CSS1 Flower Rich Margin & Plots AB8
Next Day Delivery

Click here for delivery information and charges.

CSS1 Flower Rich Margin & Plots AB8

Use this mixture for Flower-Rich Margins and Plots (AB8), to provide an abundant supply of pollen and nectar-rich flowers for pollinators and beneficial insects including bumblebees, solitary bees, butterflies, hoverflies.

  • Also attractive to farmland birds
  • Annual production of flowers for the length of the agreement.
  • Suitable for Countryside Stewardship (CSS): AB8 GS8 GS14 SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4 SW7 SW8 WT1 WT2 
  • Contains: 40% Strong Creeping Red Fescue, 20% Hard Fescue, 5% Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass, 20% Chewings Fescue, 2.5% Red Clover, 0.5% Birdsfoot Trefoil, 0.25% Selfheal, 0.25% Oxeye Daisy, 0.25% Yarrow, 0.5% Ribwort Plantain, 0.5% Crimson Clover, 0.25% Wild Carrot, 5% Sainfoin, 5% Vetch
  • Sowing rate: 20kg/ha. Pack size: 20kg
Qty:

Click here for delivery information and charges.

Mixture Specification

40% Strong Creeping Red Fescue
20% Hard Fescue
5% Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass
20% Chewings Fescue
2.5% Red Clover
0.5% Birdsfoot Trefoil
0.25% Selfheal
0.25% Oxeye Daisy
0.25% Yarrow
0.5% Ribwort Plantain
0.5% Crimson Clover
0.25% Wild Carrot
5% Sainfoin
5% Vetch

Sowing & Establishment

COUNTRYSIDE STEWARDSHIP AB8 - FLOWER-RICH MARGINS AND PLOTS

What To Sow

Establish a seed mix that contains a minimum of 4 grass species and 10 wildflower species. 

No single flower species should exceed 25% of the total wildflower species component by weight. The grass component should not exceed 90% of the total seed mix by weight. 

 

Where To Sow

Aim to sow in lower-yielding areas, ideally with a sunny aspect. Avoid very fertile soils and areas dominated by weeds. Ensure the mix isn't planted in areas under trees or next to tall hedges.

 

How To Sow

Sow the mix between April-early September when the soil is warm and moist. Create a firm, sterile seed bed. Due to the small seed size of wildflowers, this mix will have to be broadcast or trickled into the top of the seedbed, if drilled too deeply the seed will not germinate. Harrow or roll over the area once sown to ensure good seed-to-soil contact. 

 

Information in this article is given in good faith but should not be seen as a substitute for complete guidance issued at www.gov.uk/countryside-stewardship-grants. Don’t hesitate to get in touch for further information.

Maintenance

COUNTRYSIDE STEWARDSHIP AB8 - FLOWER-RICH MARGINS AND PLOTS

Maintenance and Management

Within the first 12 months after sowing, ensure the margin is cut regularly to help the sown species to establish. Remove or shred the cuttings to prevent the germination of weeds and dead material.

Once the margins are fully established, typically the second Spring after sowing, the area will need to be cut in the Spring (before April) to reduce the vigour of the grass. Up to 90% of the area can then be cut or grazed between 15th August and 31st October and left at a height between 10-20cm. You must then leave the remaining 10% of the area uncut or un-grazed.

 

Records and Evidence

Keep records as evidence of establishment and maintenance such as, but not limited to, the list below:

  • Seed invoices
  • Field operations at parcel level
  • Contractor invoices
  • Records of grazing activity
  • Photographs of the established seed mix

 

Information in this article is given in good faith but should not be seen as a substitute for complete guidance issued at www.gov.uk/countryside-stewardship-grants. Don’t hesitate to get in touch for further information.